Statement by Cheekwood Golf Club:
September 29, 2021
Last night Mayor Moore broke a 3-3 BOMA tie to rescind lease negotiations with Cheekwood Golf Club. Alderman Blanton was absent.
We are very disappointed by the decision, especially since it was based on inaccurate information.
The vote ended Cheekwood’s good-faith negotiations with the City of Franklin, even though both sides acknowledged that progress was being made. We agree with Alderman Speedy that “this is a dangerous, slippery slope.”
We are grateful for the votes of Aldermen Barnhill, Petersen, and Speedy to continue with lease negotiations. At this point, we are evaluating our options for the future.
We love Franklin and have worked in good faith with its administration and city attorney to accommodate each request in the lease. Cheekwood partnered with Nicklaus Design, the world’s acknowledged leader in golf course design. This is a very special opportunity for Franklin and will bring many benefits to the community. Watch the video below to learn more.
OUR PROMISE TO FRANKLIN:
- We will have higher standards for our outdoor lighting than the City of Franklin
- We will protect the environment of our property and strive to meet the certification guidelines established by Audubon International, the leader in environmentally sustainable management practices
- We will engineer the expansion to improve the property’s flood plain by 150%
- We will have a family atmosphere that appeals to multi-generations
- We will create a state-of-the-art facility that will accommodate golfers of all levels, as well as non-golfers
- Cheekwood also will host a variety of community and special events
- The expansion will include a public trailhead and attractive greenways connecting Cheekwood to Franklin’s park system
- Our proposed hours of operation are similar to, or the same as, other restaurants and clubs in the area
- Will have a strict dress code and code of conduct
- Cheekwood will employ a professional security team
- All our hitting bays will have security cameras
- When completed, as currently designed, the expansion is expected to generate a probable revenue of nearly a quarter-million dollars annually for the City of Franklin
- We anticipate creating approximately 150 jobs in Franklin
Benefits of Expansion:
- A public trailhead and attractive greenways connecting Cheekwood to Franklin’s park system
- Three tier covered hitting stalls combining state-of-the-art technology with a family-friendly atmosphere
- A driving range with soft, contained lighting
- Uncovered hitting stations and practice areas that enable year-round golf instruction and recreation
- The Golf Performance Center, where students of all ages will be taught by PGA professionals
- A restaurant, golf house and club facilities, with space to host social, corporate and community gatherings
Protecting the night sky from light pollution supports quality of life,
preserves wildlife habitat, and protects our access to the stars. Our golf
course redesign with Nicklaus companies follows International Dark-Sky
Association guidelines and is designed for communities.
Let us introduce you to TrackMan, every tee of the PGA Tour has this. It’s
a swing and ball flight analysis used by the best players and coaches in
the world and would be part of our new facility. It’s state-of-the-art
technology that makes it fun to practice.